We’re all told we should exercise three days a week for at least 30 minutes in order to keep our hearts and the rest of our bodies healthy, but many people find exercising a bore. Running on the treadmill becomes mundane quickly, and the elliptical or bike isn’t much different.
A great way to get a good workout and have fun while doing so is taking classes through a dance studio. Dance is a great way to meet people and next time you’re at a wedding or social function, you’ll actually know what to do! The following are some physical and mental benefits of taking classes through dance studios in Fort Worth, TX:
- Strength and flexibility: There are many physical benefits to dancing, as there is in any form of exercise. However, in dance specifically, your body becomes more flexible and strong. The steps and coordination needed to make steps at a quick pace helps you build a strong core while also moving many of your muscles in ways you may have not before. Many dancers have a full range of motion in most major muscle groups, something that anyone can achieve through dance classes.
- Weight loss and fitness: Running isn’t the only way to slim down; dance can help you do that too. Dance is considered cardio; some dance classes will leave you sweating and you’ll find your heartbeat will increase. The chances of a heart attack or heart issues decreases while dancing, while the number of calories burned increases.
- Increase in self-esteem: To go along with the topic of weight loss, dancing can significantly improve your self-confidence. Dancing can tone your body and help you lose weight. When you look good, you often feel good. Dancing also helps you practice social situations and helps you meet new friends. Many studies show that dancing can help reduce depression and loneliness.
- Stress reliever: Dance is a great way to keep your mind off of the business of life. Dancing and keeping your mind on the steps easily reduce anxiety and tension. In addition, any form of exercise, but also dance, gives those who participate endorphins, which makes them happier. Dance, just like yoga, focuses on positive energy. The melody and rhythm of most dance songs put a smiling face on dancers.
- Increase in intelligence: Believe it or not, dancing can make you smarter. While you dance, you’re not only working your body, but also your brain. Studies show that stimulating one’s brain by dancing can postpone or ward off Alzheimer’s disease and other dementia issues. Learning and memorizing steps to certain dances, like the cha-cha or rumba improve your memory and nervous system, stimulating those brain cells.
Not only is dance healthy for your mind, body and spirit, it’s also an exercise that can be done by anybody, young or old, male or female. Dance is not exclusive and it’s not competitive. Anybody can learn a few steps and carry them out. When you’re having fun and getting these benefits, what’s not to like about dance? To get the most out of dance studios in Fort Worth, TX, visit the Arthur Murray Dance Studio.